Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Stick it to the Dino



So, this DIY may be all about dinosaurs... Actually, it is. Which I kind of love. It made my day, I hope it makes yours. You will get to play with little plastic animals. When was the last time you played with little plastic animals!? In all seriousness, I don't think I ever played with little plastic animals. So I can now say I have had my chance and it was awesome.


I saw a DIY recently over on Harpers Happenings and I loveeed the idea. I think something like this would look awesome in a kids room or kids craft area. I wanted to do something similar, but turn them into magnets. Why shouldn't you see these on your fridge everyday and smile at how ridiculous they are!? 
Source: Harpers Happenings

I just Googled "Gold Animal Magnets" and "Gold Dinosaur Magnets" and sadly I am not the first to do this, but regardless they are super easy to make and fun to look at! I found my animals and dinos at the dollar store as well as the perfect sized magnets and Krazy glue- it's a one-stop-shop people! (Minus the spray paint...) Start by lining up your animals so you can have a really good look at them... okay, you don't have to do this... but I really wanted Dave to come home and find 20 dinosaurs in a "V" formation on the table and wonder what the hell I had been doing all day. Working, clearly!




































The key to keeping this DIY safe and easy is boiling the animals in water. I know this sounds super odd, but trust me- it really softens the plastic and makes it a million times easier to cut through. Boil the little guys for a few minutes, dry on paper towel and cut in half. You can then attach the magnets with Krazy glue and spray paint. I originally tried acrylic paint and it was a bust, too many brush marks and it didn't cover evenly. I would also suggest a spray paint primer before the gold, which I didn't do- and this resulted in having to do 4 coats of spray paint.

Allow your animals and dinos to dry over night and then stick away! It totally looks like Jurassic Park on my fridge right now and I am loving it....

Happy hump day!
xo
C

1 comment:

  1. OMG! This is SO cool! Thanks for the great idea for a funky, fun project that is great for the kids too.

    ReplyDelete